Overhaul Your Outdoor SpaceBy Lisa Fletcher | 04-11-19
Whether you are sprucing up your home for sale or looking to update your outdoors as the weather warms up, there are several budget-friendly ways to enhance the appeal of the outside of your home.
This is especially important when considering putting your home on the market. Most of us are passionate about presenting our home in the best possible light, but it pays to spend your money wisely outside as big changes can quickly blow your budget.
- Firstly, step outside and observe the facade of your home from a buyer’s perspective. Things like worn paint and unkept gardens won’t just turn off guests, but also potential purchasers. Take a good look at simple fixes like unkept garden/lawn edges, your style of letterbox and colour of paint on the exterior of your home. Also, jump in the car and take a drive past your home. What do you notice? It is your job to encourage potential buyers to want to pull over and take a look. If the front of your home is in great condition, it will set buyers/guests expectations for the remainder of your home.
- Use fresh, modern paint colours outside to make your home look more expensive. There are an abundance of search tools and apps available to help you choose which colours will suit your home and attract buyers. If you are unsure, you can speak to one of our friendly agents to find out which colours buyers are engaging with in the current market.
- Tidy up outside your home. If you are considering selling, the best way to present your home is as a potential home for your next buyer. Remove all personal belongings like outdoor toys, bikes, pictures, cars etc. You want to create a blank canvas. If you simply want to overhaul your outdoors for yourself, look at better storage options like a garden shed or ways you can store bikes and outdoor equipment and tools in your garage.
- Style your outdoor spaces. You can showcase the liveability of the outside of your home by adding the appropriate furniture and accessories. Whether it’s simply adding attractive pot plants or greenery, styling your pool with umbrellas or sun lounges or revamping your table and chairs with new cushions and table dressings, refreshing these spaces can really exhibit outdoor amenities to buyers.
- Tackle your landscaping. Major landscaping can be extremely expensive and there may not be any need to do so. A simple tidy up including pruning, mulching, cleaning roof gutters, weeding, edging and creating clean cut crisp edges can create visual definition and make your property shine.
- Light up the outdoors! Not only does effective outdoor lighting provide increased safety after dark, it creates a warm welcome to your home and can highlight and add drama to interesting landscape or architectural features. It will also stand out to perspective buyers at night as well as day. You can pick up affordable solar lights for your garden and home at your local trade store.
Homes with great outdoor spaces or swimming pools undoubtedly reap the benefits from selling in or prior to summer. Showcasing a sparkling pool or outdoor BBQ/kitchen area will be appealing on those seasonably hot open for inspection days.
If you would like a no-obligation market update on your home or any other real estate market advice, you can contact our office on 97075300 and chat to one of our friendly team members today.